A Poor Effort.

Posted: August 28, 2018 in Comment
Tags: , , , , , ,

Well it would seem that the recent sabotage of 2 driven grouse shoots has got a lot of people (shooters) hot under the collar. There has been a whole host of abusive and irate comments from the shooting community on various sab pages, clearly we’ve got under their skin on this and they’ve come out fighting although the comments from the general public as a whole have been, by a very large margin, very supportive.

Of course after my recent blog post about the subject I’ve had my own, well 1 anyway and that’s to be expected and if I’m honest I’m a little disappointed it wasn’t more. This one is from someone claiming to be a Paul Stephens, someone which such courage behind his conviction he took the time to create a fake email address and hide behind a proxy server, his IP address leading to a company based in Holland. It’s funny how those in the hunting and shooting community whine about masked sabs and yet do the same themselves, just in electronic form. This also proves this person is a little more IT savvy at least (or perhaps someone did it for him), most are, quite frankly too stupid.

Artboard 1

A suitably apt cartoon posted on Facebook by North Wales Hunt Sabs

Anyway, here’s the comment:

“This article is laughable. Firstly because you didn’t shut two shoots down. They both carried on. Your efforts of dragging 50max unemployed lay a bouts were wasted. If you were to ban driven grouse shooting you’d end up with thousands of acres baron moorland. As we’ve seen from unmanaged moorland it doesn’t take long for heather to grow to high, braccon and brambles to take over. You morons seem to love the countryside but aren’t willing to dip you hands in your pockets and pay for its upkeep. And you weren’t on a byway you were on a private track.

And I’m sure when punching the 15 year old in the face and throwing his quad keys in the hedge must have been a real highlight of your day. Well done. You’re really brave I’m your masks”.

Let’s break this down.

1 – We absolutely did shut 2 shoots down. The first was escorted off the moor and we sat and watched them drink away their sorrows in a local hotel. The second shoot packed up at around 4pm, a group had eyes on them setting up and that’s as far as they got. They also left the moors and certainly had no more time to set up another.

2 – Aaah the old unemployed thing. It’s like bumpkin bingo. Unemployed – check, layabouts (note it’s one word by the way) – check, no unwashed? I’m disappointed. What many from the hunting and shooting community utterly fail to understand is that sabs come from all walks of life. It’s a very wide demographic with a singular goal, to protect our wildlife from abuse. From a personal perspective all I can say is I’ve worked all my life, I’ve paid off my mortgage and am totally debt free. Not exactly the swampy-esq cliché the narrow minded bigots will have you believe is a sab.

Patchwork of vegetation across grouse moor, Deeside, Scotland.

A monoculture desert – photo Peter Cairns

3 – Here’s comes the environmental argument . . . First off the word is “barren”, a baron is a rank of nobility. Secondly the moorland used for DGS is heavily managed and was created by man. It’s not a natural environment so your opening statement is null and void. Left to its own devices it would, in time return to mixed woodland, an ecosystem with a much higher biodiversity than managed grouse moors.  Once again you lose points on spelling, it’s “bracken”. It kind of undermines any serious consideration for sensible discussion when ones opponent can’t even use a spell checker. You also fail to understand that grouse moors are largely devoid of any balanced ecosystem. All predators or conflicting species are suppressed to such an extent that the only animals which thrive are grouse, at hugely unnatural population levels.

4 – Yes we do love the countryside but what you fail (once again) to grasp is that we do actually pay for it. Grouse moor owners pull in millions of pounds every year in the form of land subsidies. What they put back into the economy is minimal to say they least. They produce no crops yet charge £1000’s a day for rich, tweed clad blood junkies to blast hapless birds from the sky (see here). One has to wonder how these estates will manage once we blunder our way out of the EU and those subsidies start to dry up. Perhaps these millionaire owners will have to delve a little deeper into their pockets.

tax break

5 – Regarding the access, we used an OS map app. This was shown to the police at the time of the incident and the land in question was confirmed by the police at the time as being open access. Regardless of that my comments on the mentality of those trying to prevent us from leaving still stand and are completely relevant.

6 – And finally here we have it. The pièce de résistance, the utterly unfounded claim of violence against a minor. This is a classic deflection technique although one which has been used so many times before no-one really takes it seriously any more, and that includes the police. I look forward to the thorough police investigation into this incident and the perpetrators bought to justice, except of course there won’t be any of that because it didn’t happen. Is there anyone who really believes this unmitigated tripe? Only those desperate enough that live in the blood sports bubble. The last sentence doesn’t make any sense but I’ll assume its in relation to hiding our identities, like you did with a false email and IP. By the way, I don’t wear a mask.

So all in all a pretty poor effort, I’m going to give it 3/10.

Comments
  1. Tom says:

I saw a comment on one well known bumpkin discussion forum, that if the moorland was not managed it would quickly fill with weeds and scrub bushes, as though that were a bad thing.

Yes, that’s correct, that’s called ecological succession. You wouldn’t expect upland forests to appear overnight. Mankind has been ravaging this environment for hundreds of years.

2. Sally Kingham says:

The comment from the pro was literally laughable in context and spelling! I do enjoy how you wind the idiots up. Keep up the good work.

3. Yvonne Day says:

Touché! Well done once again for a very eloquent response, which the troll probably wouldn’t even understand.

4. Stephen ruddock says:

It always amuses me how the landowners persuade the locals to do the dirty work for them when in reality they sneer at them in private and pay peanuts for the privilege of mixing with them.

5. Simon Cole says:

Hello – I just found your blog 🙂 I like that you want “to protect our wildlife from abuse”. I am trying to understand the conflict and it really made me think. To be fair, I do prefer to use the archaic spelling of bracken, it’s only a blog, and some people have literary difficulties that are not their fault. Where I thought you had a very informed point was on heather mono-cultures. I think the best way to think of it is to make the classical distinction between conservation and preservation. In a conserved habitat, man is expected to have calculated interest in controlling succession. Whereas preservation allows for any natural change without intervention. I do ecologically survey some managed upland areas and they seem to support many different species that would otherwise suffer from habitat change. Although some pressures from soil degradation do persist. The birds lead free lives and seem to die quite quickly before being eaten. I doubt the activity is solely for subsistence, but also economy (profit). Hen Harriers have also been killed historically to conserve shooting and they have recently almost gone extinct. The question becomes – can we conserve these habitats without shooting? Well I reckon conservation costs are incredibly high. Do you remember the “you forgot the birds” campaign about wastage in the RSPB. My experience of wildlife conservation organisations is that they can become corporately-orientated very quickly. It was important for you to write the article because what affects the way people feel about blood sports is incredibly important. Also, managed grouse can be seen wildlife, as opposed to food. A UK-wide survey of Black Grouse was carried out in 2005. This showed numbers of UK lekking males down by 22 per cent from 6,506 to 5,078 in ten years – As a result of both its long-term and short-term decline in the UK, black grouse is on the Red List in the UK, as a species of high conservation concern. For this exact reason, I find that shooting is an unsustainable option for grouse (as well as the other species’ affected). I also wonder whether Please forgive my poor understanding if I am incorrect. I would like to follow your blog, if you don’t mind? I do use a VPN to protect my computer through endpoint encryption; just so that you know. It’s kinda the norm for people that build their own computers nowadays and need safer file synchronisation across an open computer network. I am not prejudiced towards any particular view so you would be welcome to contact me.

6. Yvonne Day says:

Well done once again for calling them out for the ignorant idiots they are! This one should go back to school. Bet he was proud of what he’d written, but you shot him down at every point. Also, apart from the obvious spelling mistakes, he also couldn’t get right basic words like Too, Your and In!
    And what a coward hiding behind a false ID! Bravo to you. I’m a great fan of what you and your colleagues do.

7. LilyMae Turner says:

Well put and a delightful dissemination of the accuser. I look forward to your blogs.